New Year's Resolutions, for the most part, play an important role in most everyone's life. To lose weight. Live life more fully. Be a better husband, wife, or significant other etc. Value more what we have in our family and friends. And many more that I have missed. But have you ever considered New Year' Resolutions as a part of your business and managerial life?
So my last Healthcare Marketing Matters blog for 2013 is about New Year Marketing Resolutions. My own Top 10 list to get things started. What are yours?
10. Focus on meeting the needs of the healthcare consumer aka the newly insured.
9. Learn from the healthcare retail giants like Walgreens, CVS Caremark and others. Healthcare continues to evolve into a semi-retail market and what has worked in the past won’t work anymore.
8. Marry price to outcomes and be transparent to the healthcare consumer. Prove value.
7. Integrate traditional, online and social marketing strategies. All are complementary to one another and drive multiple successes.
6. Innovate- again and again and again;
5. Foster a spirit of and demand marketing excellence in the marketing department. Good enough is not good enough.
4. Focus on the data and show ROI. If it doesn’t work then stop doing it.
3. Stop using the words "unique", "state-of-the-art", and anything that is considered “buzz word" terminology in my marketing communications. Unique can be duplicated easily. State-of-the-art refers to yesterday's systems as things change so fast. Buzz words quickly fall out of favor.
2. Bridge the divide between sales and marketing.
1. Serve and be humble, for working in healthcare is a privilege, not a right.
It’s been a most interesting year, HMM went over 5,000 page views a month and is now read in 52 countries around the world. There was a lot of spirited discussion in LinkedIn groups about several of the posts. I fielded calls on various topics from Bloomberg Weekly, Reuters, Associated Press, Crain’s and Strategic Health Care Marketing (published December 2013). It was all appreciated and fun. But most of all thank you for reading, for that is what really makes doing this worthwhile. I am taking a couple of weeks off. See you in 2104.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year! Have a healthy, safe and prosperous year.
Michael J. Krivich, MHA, FACHE, PCM, is an internationally followed healthcare marketing blogger read in over 52 countries worldwide.. These views are my own. He is founder of the michael J group, a Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives and a Professional Certified Marketer, American Marketing Association. Like us on facebook at the michael J group, and connect with me on LinkedIn and Twitter.